Thursday, November 7, 2013

Free!!!....for the moment:)

I've just finished my last day on labour ward in the south pacific.

To say I'm feeling relieved is a bit of an understatement! The other prevailing emotion is gratefulness for this incredible experience and that I have come through it in one piece (mostly, anyway)!
 I really want to thank you all for your encouragement, and for your prayers for courage and safety - they have been answered over and over again. God has been continually encouraging me, more and more convincingly, to trust Him with the little and large things of life.

There has been a continual string of little moments, and few very big ones, since I arrived here where I have had to choose outright to trust Him with my life. We really are all in His hands, and I feel that we (I!) waste copious amounts of energy attempting to keep ourselves safe and free, and happy, and organized, all at the same time, instead of resting in the freedom that comes with knowing that someone (a powerful someone) cares more about us more than we care about ourselves! Every time I choose to believe that, I feel just a smidgen lighter.

After more births, and coming into contact with more bodily fluid (it seriously cannot be avoided), and even coming into too close of contact with a sharp instrument today (on my last day, of all days...It was "the right side of close" as my dear dad would say), and after a moment of overwhelming anxiety that my life was literally at stake (anyone who knows me well will know this is no understatement), I was actually able to stand up tall and accept that my Father is watching over me, and loves me deeply. I let out a heavy sigh and let my fear go with it. Each moment is a gift, and it feels so right to be thankful rather than afraid. To accept what comes, and to know that all will be well in the end.
Oh anxiety and the dangers that come with living life to its fullest...What great opportunities to choose again to trust my God!! (I just tell myself this 10000x a day and I'm good to go;)

 333 babies have been born at this hospital since I arrived almost 4 weeks ago, and I have caught 21 of them. There are many stories to tell...Ask me one day when we are together again (which i hope will be very soon)!!

 I had a lovely farewell at the staff Christmas party this afternoon, and was blessed with beautiful gifts, kind words, and memories I will never forget. The women that have dedicated their lives to serving in this labour ward have my utmost respect and admiration. They are not perfect (no one is), but they are incredibly strong, and deeply kind..The one who found me hiding in a corner after my needle-stick incident even told me about all the times she's been in the same situation, and worse. She hugged me and prayed for me - such lovely sisters these women are! I am blessed to know them, and I will continue to pray for them and the work they face.
I will upload a few photos of the festivities as well as the labour ward itself once I am back to cheap internet in NZ.

 I am going 'home' to Dunedin next week. I will have a couple of days to catch my breath and to catch up on our last major assignment (a presentation on sustainable midwifery practice) before our final week of seminars and exam preparation.
 I have a feeling it is going to be a whirlwind couple of weeks...Good thing I'm getting used to that.

After my final exam on December 9th I will be flying home to Canada (HOME sweet home, oh my heart aches for home these days!) for Christmas with my family. I CANNOT WAIT (!!!!!)
But I will...And I will even try to appreciate the moments in the meantime!

No comments:

Post a Comment